Label Printer Hardware
Printing labels can be a great way to increase accuracy and efficiency in your warehouse. There are 2 main types of label printers to consider:
Direct Thermal label printers use a heated print head on special labels to create text and barcodes on their label stock. These types of printers are more cost effective and require less consumables.
- No ribbon required
- Less expensive hardware
- Typically adequate for most applications
- Lower resolution for detailed images, etc.
- Labels fade/smear over time
- Labels not recommended for outdoor or extreme conditions
Example Direct Thermal printer model: Zebra GK420d
Thermal Transfer label printers utilize a ribbon to imprint text and images on their label stock. These printers are typically ideal for higher quality labels that will last longer.
- More durable label stock options
- Longer lasting text / barcodes
- Ideal for outdoor or extreme conditions
- Can use both Thermal Transfer and Direct Thermal Labels
- More expensive printers
- Extra cost in ribbons
Example Thermal Transfer model: Zebra GK420T
In order to print barcode labels using Extensiv Warehouse Manager, the printer must have either a direct ethernet port or WiFi capability. USB Printers are not supported at this time